Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: EWS64XL & Win 2k

  1. #1
    Inactive Member KKu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2000
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    smile Damn thing, it works!

    Yesterday, I installed Win 2K and also installed EWS to Win 2k. Well... it wasn't so easy, 'cos Win 2K has different way (not like win98) to set IRQs & others. I'll build some kind of report about installing and UL it to my web pages... mayB even tonight smile

    L8r.

    .KKu

  2. #2
    Inactive Member iSo's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I have Win2K installed aswell with my EWS 64 XL. I have an AMD K6 on 233 mHz and I found out that my sound is cluttering when I use more channels :-( . Like in Sonic Foundry Vegas Pro, when I use 3 ore more channels, my audio goes wild. It didn't do that under Win98SE. Is it because of the beta drivers Terratec provides or maybe because the lack of processor speed?

    ------------------
    Christiaan 'iSo' Unck
    http://intimate.org/bjorkwallpapers

  3. #3
    Inactive Member KKu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2000
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Hm, seems like lack of speed to me... Win 2K "eats" quite much resources. There can also be another thing: Is your HD fast enough? Sometimes too slow swapping in HD causes sound to do re-re-repeating smile.

    Also, you didn't mention amount of RAM on your machine. That can cause it.

    Oh well, I had to uninstall my win2k, 'cos I build new computer to run win2k. Hopefully next week I have new machine running.

    .KKu

  4. #4
    Inactive Member iSo's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have 160 MB SDRAM and an ultrawide SCSI HD, so that's not the prob. Guess I'll have to get a faster processor then. A Celeron 533 mHz should work, shouldn't it?

    ------------------
    Christiaan 'iSo' Unck
    http://intimate.org/bjorkwallpapers

  5. #5
    Inactive Member KKu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2000
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Thumbs up

    "Little" drawback; my computer stopped working frown It takes at least this week to get it working (no time to fix it).

    However, my new computer is nearly finished, and I'm quite ready with my new web-site, so I think I put EWS to my new computer...

    Back to topic:
    533 should be enough... after all, I have "only" PII 400, and haven't experienced any problems, when playing 8 stereo channels + MIDI. Someone put message to EWS64.COM and said ews drivers in Win2K are slow.

    But in the other hand:
    If you are using/gonna use Win 2K for long time, buy dual processor motherboard. At least that's what I did. It's a hell lotta faster than single processor machine.
    (P2/400 = 1150 MIPS, 500MFLOPS)
    (2*P2/300 = 1950 MIPS, 800 MFLOPS)
    I.e. Abit BP6 accept dual PPGA processors, so buying (here in Finland) BP6+2*466 PPGA processors cost about ?250, so it isn't so expensive to upgrade.

    .KKu

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •